Sunday, July 29, 2012

7/29/2012

Trusting God

My Dad was a hard worker and i learned most of my work ethics from him. I can remember my Mom pushing him to go and do one thing or another as i grew up, and i can also remember him mumbling under his breath as he walked out the door to do it.
He usually uttered a few words that i could almost make out, and i know one of them had to do with a "Dam" or something. When i grew older i was expected to help my Dad with what needed to be done. Only then was i able to understand what "Dam" my Dad had been talking about all those years.

I know that i learned the lesson of hard work as a young man helping my Dad. It was a lesson that i was more then anxious to teach my four children as they grew up. Thus completing the circle of life and lessons that a Dad is expected to teach his children. As a result my children have grown up to be hard working and can see a future and a hope for something better for their lives.

Now that I'm older, I am left with the question, whats next?

Today as i picked up my Bible, God decided to take things to another level. In Romans 4 Paul talks about Abraham's faith and goes on to explain what this new found faith means for us. The thing that struck me was the explanation that he gave for what is required,"from us" to receive this new faith. Of course I've read this before many times, but still have not learned how to master it.

When Abraham was blessed it wasn't about Abraham and his faith so much as it was about God's choice to bless him. Sure Abraham had the faith to trust in God, but it was God who had already put everything together for him. Abraham entered into God's plan when he believed, God had already did all the rest.

What my mother and father taught me about being honest, not stealing .etc., was not wrong in any way. But what my heavenly father wants me to learn is a whole different lesson all together.

That i can only believe, and do "nothing" to earn this, is a hard thing for me to learn. I was taught that i had to work and earn my place in life, and that's exactly what i did. I learned that lesson well from them.

That is why it is so hard to learn what God has been trying to teach me, it goes against everything that is was raised to believe. 

Today i got the message loud and clear from my Father God. I can do nothing to make anything happen out of my own abilities. There is nothing i can do to create anything lasting on this earth,....
I am left with believing that He has a plan for me, and i can do nothing to make it happen. Nothing except getting to know him.
You know he has lovingly been speaking to me about this for a long time now. So it isn't such a bad deal, doing nothing and spending time with my father is do-able.
 It also takes all the past, present, and future and puts it into perspective. No more stress or pressures.
I might just learn to like spending time with him, not worrying about everything else.

God's promise can only work if it is a pure gift to us, we can do nothing except believe, we cannot do anything to deserve it. 

I know many will say that they already know this, but I'd venture to assume that there are many less that can say that they are living this daily.

 When i look at things God's way, with His perspective, it all makes sense. So i wonder why all these years later I'm still trying to make it harder then it has to be. Of course the answer is, Its not so easy to break those learned habits that we accepted as normal from our past. If we do not learn to change and look at things in God's perspective, then the very thing that we refuse to change will be our undoing, and keep us from true living relationship with our heavenly Father.

Thank you God for showing me the way, please show me more of you so that i may hear you in every situation, and hear your voice today so that i may have peace in relationship with you.

Romans 4:13-15 Msg.
That famous promise God gave Abraham- that he and his children would possess the earth- was not given because of something Abraham did or would do. It was based on God's decision to put everything together for him, which Abraham then entered into when he believed. If those who get what God gives them only get it by doing everything they are told to do and filling out all the right forms properly signed, that eliminates personal trust completely and turns the promise into an ironclad contract!
That's not a Holy-promise; that's a business deal.

Romans 4:16 Msg.
This is why the fulfillment of God's promise depends entirely on trusting God and His way, and then simply embracing Him and what he does. God's promise arrives as a pure gift.


1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!!

    Keep sharing your heart love it is more beautiful than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete